The Word (Lennon/McCartney)
A different version for the U.S.
The US stereo version of The Word is recognizably different than the UK version; it features John’s double-tracking vocals and extra falsetto harmonies on the left channel and slightly longer fade.
“We smoked a bit of pot, then we wrote out a multicolored lyric sheet, the first time we’d ever done that. We normally didn’t smoke when we were working. It got in the way of songwriting because it would just cloud your mind up — “Oh, shit, what are we doing?” It’s better to be straight. But we did this multicolor thing.” – Paul McCartney
- John Lennon – lead and backing vocals, rhythm guitar
- Paul McCartney – harmony vocal, bass, piano
- George Harrison – harmony vocal, lead guitar
- Ringo Starr – drums, maracas
- George Martin – harmonium solo
- Rubber Soul (1965)