Savoy Truffle (Harrison)
You Know It’s Good News
The lyrics to Savoy Truffle were taken almost entirely from a box of Mackintosh’s Good News chocolates (hence the lyric, “You know it’s Good News”), and George wrote the song in tribute to good friend Eric Clapton’s love of chocolate.
“Once he saw a box he had to eat them all. He was over at my house, and I had a box of ‘Good News’ chocolates on the table and wrote the song from the names inside the lid.” – George Harrison, I Me Mine
The chocolates were a popular gift in England in the 1960s. The Savoy Truffle, no longer in production as is the case with all of the chocolates in the box, tasted similar to today’s Almond Joy.
- George Harrison – lead vocal, rhythm guitar, lead guitars, Hammond organ, acoustic guitar
- Paul McCartney – harmony vocal, bass guitar
- Ringo Starr – drums
- Uncredited but played by the Beatles – tambourine
- Chris Thomas – electric piano, organ
- Art Ellefson – tenor saxophone
- Danny Moss – tenor saxophone
- Derek Collins – tenor saxophone
- Ronnie Ross – baritone saxophone
- Harry Klein – baritone saxophone
- Bernard George – baritone saxophone