While plunking around on his father's piano, Paul found sheet music to a lullaby called Golden Slumbers. But since neither he nor any other of the Beatles could read music he made up his own words and music. The original song was written by Thomas Dekker.
Carry That Weight and Golden Slumbers were recorded as a single song during recording session. John was not present during recording of the basic track (he was in the hospital following a car accident) but he later rejoined the group for vocal overdubs.
- July 2, 1969 (15 takes, basic track)
- July 3, 1969 (rhythm and lead guitar, lead vocal, and chorus vocal overdubs; reduction mixing into take 17)
- July 4, 1969 (overdubs)
- July 30, 1969 (vocal overdubs, first mixing into medley)
- July 31, 1969 (drum, timpani, and vocal overdubs)
- August 15, 1969 (orchestral overdubs)
- August 18, 1969 (stereo mixing)
- August 19, 1969 (mixing; crossfade into "The End")