This song was written while on meditation by Paul with help from Mike Love of the Beach Boys. It is a parody of Beach Boys songs such as "Surfin' USA." The mention of "Ukraine girls" and "Georgia" was thought by many to be sympathetic to Communism and was denounced.
The jet sound effect
The jet sound effect came from the Abbey Road sound effects collection, specifically, "Volume 17: Jet And Piston Engine Aeroplane".
Drums by everyone but Ringo
During sessions for Back In The U.S.S.R., tension in the studio reached such a point that Ringo quit the group and was gone for two weeks before convinced to come back September 3, his drum kit covered in flowers by Mal Evans. Paul, John and George each recorded a drum, bass, and lead guitar track (3 total tracks for each instrument).
- August 22, 1968 (5 takes; basic track)
- August 23, 1968 (additional bass, vocal, drum, and piano overdubs; mono mixing)
- October 13, 1968 (stereo mixing)
- The Beatles (1968)
- 1967-1970 (1973)
- Back In The U.S.S.R. / Twist And Shout (single) (1976)
- Rock N' Roll Music (1976)
- The Beatles Box (1980)
- Tomorrow Never Knows (2012)
- Love (2006) [LOVE mix]
- Billy Joel (from Concert in Russia)